Friday, October 29, 2010

Prevention

I've been reading statements from a few of my friends on Facebook about a nasty flu-like virus flailing around the Western Pennsylvania area, desperately seeking relief from their symptoms. While I don't have advice for the current state there in, I do have a tip to ward off those pesky viruses floating around in the future.



A few years ago a coworker told me about the benefit of apple cider vinegar (ACV) to prevent a cold. She told me, at the first sign of cold symptoms take a swig or two (a "swig" in equivalent to a tablespoon), before bed with some water if needed to help get it down. At the time I was feeling these symptoms come about, so I followed her advice. The next morning, I felt no ill affect and asked her more about it the next day. She explained to me about the acid/base balance our body needs, and that apple cider vinegar actually makes your PH balance more alkaline, and viruses cannot live in an alkalinic state.



I practiced this regimen every time I felt a negative symptom come on ,and in 2 years I never had a cold, or flu for that matter. So I started to research this a bit more & found many resources to back it up. I also found so many other benefits for apple cider vinegar, way to many to list so I'll give you the links.



Now there is something to consider if you decide to implement this in your routine. The ACV must be organic! The kind you see in a grocery store is not worth its place on the shelf. That stuff is made from coal tar, to help its appearance. We "consumers", like to purchase things that "look good". So suppliers have refined what you see in the grocery stores, filtering all of the elements that make ACV worthwhile out to make it clear, so that it is more appealing to buyers. You can find the organic ACV in health food stores or more often now in larger grocery stores that have an organic section. You can also buy it online. I only drink Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, and after mixing 1-2 teaspoons of ACV with 1-2 teaspoons of organic honey in 8oz of water (I add ice after mixing and it makes it taste more refreshing), I've never felt so good! I usually drink mine around lunchtime and when I miss day, I can feel the difference! My 11 year old daughter will even request it once in a while because she says it "kinda tastes like lemonade".



Now to be fair, I have gotten sick but it is few & far between the times my entire family will go through there bouts of sickness. Unfortunately the medical community will not do the research to back up these claims, but if you read the hundreds of individuals that testify its benefits, it's hard to deny.



There have been studies with Diabetics and the results were effective in reducing blood glucose levels. During that study, researchers noticed these individuals were loosing weight, so they preformed another study on healthy individuals who consumed the ACV beverage during or an hour before each meal, and found within a year, with NO change in diet or exercise, theses individuals lost an average of 15 lbs.



I know I sound like an advertisement, and really that's not my intention. I'm just sharing what works for me, and over the years of digging into this topic, I've found hundreds of others it helps.



So why keep it to myself?



If you want to learn more, check out these links:

Apple Cider Vinegar


ACV for weight loss ( gotta check out the experiences people have shared about it on that page)

I own this book and refer to it often! You can order it by clicking on the link:






Sadly, I can't help my Facebook friends feel any better as they're already in "sick-mode", but hopefully this will help ward off any funky gunk in the future.

Take care all,.....and have an intimate day!

Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You've convinced me. I've heard a lot about the benefits of apple cider vinegar (especially how it's good to soak in when you have sore muscles) but I didn't know that it helped to stop a cold. I'm going to get some this weekend.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete