Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Karma

I receive many emails like most of you do. Funny stories, pictures of babies with puppies, breast cancer awareness, political and personal accounts that somewhere along the line most of us can relate to. There is one email that has disturbed my foundation more than any sent to me. So much so, that it convicts me almost on a daily basis.


A man sat quietly on the subway, emotionless and uninvolved with his two children that ran about the train disrupting the other passengers mid afternoon nap, iTunes time, or contemplation of day’s events. All were becoming quite irritated with the children running wildly about the train, when one courageous man leaned in toward the father and said, “excuse me, do you realize how your children are disrupting the other passengers on this ride? Could you please control your kids”? The father snapped out of his gaze and said to the man, “I’m so sorry, I didn’t notice their behavior. I guess they are just in shock. You see, we have just come from the hospital. My son’s have just watched their mother die. I watched my wife, loose her battle. I guess I’m not thinking too clearly. Please forgive me.”


How many times have we had a vehicle behind us drive erratically and we attempt to delay their urgency. Do we know why they’re diving erratically? How many times have we been impatient when the elderly lady in front of us pulls out her check book to pay for her groceries instead of using the efficient debit card our generation is so accustom to using, just because that’s all she has left to control in her elderly years?

How many times do we judge others for their bad attitude, without knowing that behind their closed doors, they’re going through a divorce? Their child has just been diagnosed with a terminal disease. The man of the house has lost his job, his home, his wife and his children to someone else who can do a better job. The teen who was just beaten in the schoolyard forced to join a gang,....... or die.


When I think of how I lose my temper and start cursing the elderly man driving in front of me under the speed limit, I am reminded of that email message. Convicted knowing that one day, I will be that elderly person, just trying to get through the changes in life I just can’t keep up with. I am convicted in knowing that one day, I will be returning from the funeral of a loved one, dazed & incompetent in the simplest tasks of day to day living, having a teen or a mature individual cursing me from behind. One day I will be in the grocery line, paying with a debit card, slowing down those who precede me with a microchip imbedded in their hand rushing them through the line that much faster.


I know that what I display toward others today will eventually come back to haunt me or embrace me in the days ahead.

What about you dear friends?

How will your actions toward others today, affect how you are treated by others in the future? Do you believe in Karma? Even if you don’t at this stage of your life, do you really want to tempt the inevitable?

I challenge everyone reading this post, to do one thing. Just one thing. Once a day, once a week, once a month. One act of kindness towards another.

Whether a smile, a helpful hand, a sacrifice of personal desires. The simple grace of having no reaction in it of itself is an act of kindness.

If just for 5 minutes, make a difference in the life situation of someone else. Because no matter how wonderful your life may be at the moment, there will come a time where devastation sets in. How will it feel for you to be cursed at, humiliated, degraded, gossiped about, all for the sake of someone else’s ego or desire to seek precedence?


Understand that there is no finger pointing here from me. I have done all of the above. I have also been the recipient in darker hours, and yet I still fail daily in this challenge I’ve posted. But there is strength in numbers. What will be the beautiful result from one act of kindness on a routine basis?


“Karma-phala”. Fruits of actions......

What will you do today?



Have an intimate day everyone!

Jennifer

9 comments:

  1. This is so true. I often remember thinking the same thing, the person in line, the erratic driver, they are all God's children and need our love and support. Although not always easy, we must remember, as Christians, our actions speak volumes to those around us. If it's "okay" for us to curse the elderly lady or the crazed kids, then the perception is Christianity must not be that bad.

    Well put message Jenn. Patience is something we have taught in the kids ministry quite often. It isn't easy but necessary. Next time your in line remember to practice patience. When you're on the road, move over, you'll see that person at the red light soon enough.

    Proverbs 19:11 (New International Version)

    11 A man's wisdom gives him patience;
    it is to his glory to overlook an offense.

    Yes, I do these things as well. I am a sinner too. I turn to God to make me better.

    Thanks for the reminder Jenn. You are an awesome vessel for God's words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ray! But the truth is,....I find when I am being my best, I'm usually following someone elses example. I have to keep reminding myself to "be" the example!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome message and awesome reminder. I remember how that story of the man on the subway hit me the first time I read it. Patience and grace are not our natural responses... yet we want those responses from others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, what a powerful post!

    I've always believed in Karma but I too fail everyday in this challenge to be kinder to others. You've made me sit up and think deeper on this today. Thank you.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jai,.....you bring blessing & kindness everytime your fingers touch that keyboard. Then you do one better by reaching hundreds of people,just by pressing..."post"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was AWESOME Jen!...I just had a conversation this past wkd with a dear old friend about stepping back, pausing and taking the time to just think of 1 other possibility that COULD be happening in that individuals life. Love that we are around the same idea♥
    PS. I call this judging, and in the end, when I'm standing before HIM...I don't want that to be a conversation that we have:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen, you're a genius. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacy & Jonie Welcome my little corner!!!!!! And yes Stace, I know I'm gonna have enough to explain when I stand before Him, I don't need to add more to my poor judgement list. If I can just remember that from one hour to the next!
    Jonie,.....I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to attach the upholstry hose to my carpet shampooer. Genius??? Not so much. Giving me such a beautiful comment... you just did your act of kindness today! Thank you dear friend!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete