Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sing It With Me!....

"It's the most wonderful time of the year"........
I know, it's not Christmas time, but it IS, kids' going back to school time! Yes, I admit, I've been carrying that tune around for days. Yet as I sing it with joy, I feel a myriad of other emotions.

Fear & excitement!

"Fear & excitement", what a pair. Fear about the unknown, and excitement for what is to come.

As adults, we have already experienced these emotions before the new school year, but for children, these feelings can be overwhelming. Parents can tell them until there blue in the face, that everything will be OK, but deep down inside, we don't know do we? We cross our fingers hoping that everyday they come off the bus, they'll have a positive experience at school. That every day, they'll understand their homework and get straight "A's"or that they'll be the popular child that never gets picked on. When in reality, we know that's not always going to happen. Parents can make themselves crazy with worry about our children's well being while there away from us.

If you have seen the movie "Finding Nemo" (if you haven't, you need to watch it), Dora, and Marlin were caught in the whales mouth. The two were in a position where they were just about to fall into the whales stomach, holding on desperately. Dora sensed that the whale wanted her to "let go", but Marlin wasn't about to. When Dora pleaded for Marlin to "let go", Marlin exclaimed, "how do you know something bad isn't going to happen"? The most poignant statement was made by Dora,......."I don't", and she let go.

Parents, need to "let go" sometimes. Our children will encounter hard times, and as difficult as it is for parents to observe, that's what "growing" is. All we can do, is be loving and supportive for our children.

So as you send your kiddo's off to school this year, kiss them,....hug them,....and tell them you'll be there, not only when they return from school,.......but always!

Then,.....Let go!

Have an intimate day!

Jennifer

4 comments:

  1. I like this. I have always told my kids that the world can sometimes be a mean place. People won't always be nice and bad things will happen, but you will always be safe at home. This is their safe place. The best I can do is keep that promise to them. And you'd better believe that when I lose it they are there to remind me, "Mom, I don't feel very safe right now". Gotta love how they'll keep you honest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a painfully shy little girl, one of four children, with my soft voice rarely heard among the louder siblings. The world scared me, especially the first day of a new school year.

    My mother was a vibrant, outgoing individual, who seemed to always be the "life of the party." She would try to get me to experience new things and speak up for myself. I was always afraid, to the point of crying sometimes, or completely freezing up.

    She once told me, "Feel the fear, and do it anyway."

    I never forgot those words, and still have to tell them to myself from time to time. I realize now, as an adult, that even though it wasn't outwardly apparent, my mother felt the same fears about people and things as I did.

    She just didn't let it keep her from doing...anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming over to my blog.

    Letting go so hard to do. It is a scary world and we as parents must let them fall and pick themselves back up. We learned to cope and so will they it is natures way. Trust and have faith that God will do what is best...like it or not

    I have told my kids life is not fair, you will be judged by the friends and groups you hang with and will be assumed guilty or not because of them as well.
    The only person you can count on is you and I hope you don't find this out the hard way. I love you very much...now get out.

    Ok so maybe I haven’t said ‘now get out’ (where they could hear me)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, but letting go is so hard!

    You're right though. I remember when my niece told me about a girl at school who was mean to her. I was shaking with fury. We talked through it but I knew I had to let her find her way and learn to cope with different relationships. It was so hard not to charge over to the school and have a rousing fight with someone.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete